Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Ah, Ghana--Shito and "Dumsor"

We're beginning to fill our Ghanaian pantry, slowly. It's
great to be away from the snow and ice of Pennsylvania, but the downside is that of the first 6 days we were here, the power was off 2 of tthem. It's known locally as "dumsor" "on/off," perhaps a Ga word [Correction: I was just informed "dum" is an Akan word meaning "off," and "sor" means "on"], and is slated to become one of the big political issues for the next campaign. It's unpredictable and very frustrating to folks.

I'm temporarily  staying at the University of Ghana, Legon campus, before heading out to the house near Tema. 

Yesterday my favorite fashion designer, Abammaku, took measurements for a new outfit, and also sold me some of her famous canned shito (or "shittor"). My husband and I also enjoyed her pineapple ginger drink, and carried home some of her locally bottled sobolo (aka bissap, or hibiscus drink).

It's good to be back.



No comments: